I had a mind to start my own philosophy, and it won't be a single clever aphorism that tries to singlehandedly replace and transcend the thousands of years of thought preceding it. Not only is that impossible, but also incredibly vain. It has been attempted too many times. It has never fully worked. Even the greatest revelations from the greatest minds are not infallible.
I'm sure they felt good, but for philosophers or any intellectual the answer matters half as much as the search. Searching, like artists and writers and the rest of us, for thrills. So whether or not existentialism is true tomorrow doesn't matter. It's getting me off today.
No, my philosophy will be deceptively simple. Painfully simple. And timeless. We'll bust out Occam's razor and shave every ounce of fluff off till what's left of the world stands naked. Pitiful, naked, but TRUE above all. It will be a list of truths--a list of things that have not necessarily been scientifically proven, but are beyond doubting. I'm not sure who will arbitrate or manage the list, but it will grow in time.
The first inalienable truth will be:
1. Nutella is delicious.
There! nothing mind-blowing. Nothing earth shattering. And yet, somehow, more certain in its truthfulness than even some of the greatest ideas known to man. I am sure there are even those in America (and worldwide) to whom Nutella has brought more pleasure than philosophy ever has. Not many, mind you--the piteously unintellectual types--but they definitely exist.
See, even I'm guilty of pissing away a perfectly good day! Oh well, I enjoy my word-toys.
No comments:
Post a Comment